While I was away from the blog, some nuggets continued to be scattered to get us through the offseason. This being Aug. 2, we have now entered the slowest part of the offseason. Beat reporters in many places took vacations in mid-July while others might be working assignments for other sports to kill the time. Tampa Bay offers enough distractions, even during the season, that it should be a little better to alleviate the lack of hockey.
I’ll thrown in some extra commentary to help kill time with links because I’m always thinking of you, loyal reader.
- Up top is a GIF list posted to Reddit via Imgur. Somebody went to the trouble to do GIF transitions of every home and away jersey for each NHL team, defunct and current. Maybe he’ll do one of every third jersey in NHL history. (s/t to the Lightning for sharing) Imgur
- While we’re on an Imgur kick, here are NHL jerseys in 8-bit form.
- Jay Feaster continued to garner attention with his new role and his view on the Martin St. Louis trade with this interview from The Fischler Report. (Though I don’t know what part you’d qualify this as an exclusive considering he’s been answering these questions for a week or so in his new role. That he was alone in the room with you?) Despite my snark, this is a really good read. Jake Becker | The Fischler Report
- Puck Daddy’s Harrison Mooney aggregated the piece and focused on Feaster’s comments of when/what would it take for John Tortorella to return to an NHL bench. Harrison Mooney | Puck Daddy
- Feaster also gives another PSA of his role with the Lightning for the team’s website. Tampa Bay Lightning
- Anthony DeAngelo revisits draft day and a couple other tidbits about himself with the team. Tampa Bay Lightning
- So, how does DeAngelo stack up when all Lightning prospects are ranked, regardless of position? Bolts Prospects has the complete list. Pete Choquette | Bolts Prospects
- Crunch beat reporter Lindsay Kramer picks out a couple from that list who could see time in Syracuse. Lindsay Kramer | The Post-Standard
- One prospect likely coming to North America is Czech prospect and 36th overall pick in this year’s draft, Dominik Masin. His agent says he’s close to committing with the Peterborough Petes of the OHL. Mike Davies | Peterborough Examiner
- If you believe this Reddit research, the Lightning has the ninth most affordable season ticket price, albeit way, way upper bowl, at $792. The Florida Panthers check in at No. 1 for $516. Reddit
- This is pretty cool in the self-promotion department: A photo I took last year of Andrei Vasilevskiy ended up on one of the top sports news sites of Russia, Sports.ru. They’re so inventive. I appreciate they linked to my blog for the photo credit to drive traffic. If I had taken a better photo, I’d ask for some rubles. Anyway, the story is a round-up of Russian pro hockey prospects and how their summer camps are going. Sport.ru
- For the gear nuts in all of us, here is the new set-up for Cédrick Desjardins, former Syracuse Crunch goaltender who made a few appearances for the Lightning over the years. Click through to see his matching glove and blocker on Vaughn’s Facebook. It’s nice of them to say they’re for the Rangers, but we all know he’s heading to the Hartford WolfPack. Also, if you remember minor leaguer Bobby Goepfert, a former Florida Everblade, Vaughn also posted his set for his German league team. Vaughn Custom Equipment | Facebook
- Owner Jeff Vinik just began work on a new mansion on Sarasota’s St. Armands Key. Get this: he bought a mansion last year for $4.25 million and razed it, then bought another one next door for $3.5 million to knock it down, only to build a new 9,200-square-foot home on both lots for $3.5 million. That’s more than $12 million for a mansion that is an hour away from one of his Tampa compounds. Dude has some cash. Drew Harwell | Tampa Bay Times
- Finally, you can watch reruns of a new “Inside The Lightning: Offseason Special” on SunSports throughout August to get your fix. Fox Sports